Tower 2 English Translation

GiGaBiTe
Site Admin

Tower 2 English Translation

Post by GiGaBiTe »

I translated this game about a decade ago, and it seems it has garnered recent interest due to a video from LGR.

This is a mostly complete translation of the main game executable using a resource editor. It's not perfect, but it will at least let you have an idea of what's going on.

I have not translated any of the plugins, because the resource editor I was using at the time didn't understand 16 bit code. Many of the plugins use WIN16 calls from Windows 9x, which the program doesn't know what to do with. The main game executable also uses some 16 bit code, and will only run on 32 bit versions of Windows. Windows XP is recommended, but later 32 bit versions of Windows may also work, but I have not tested them.

Download:
http://sanzen.in/files/t2a3.zip

Bonus:
There is a secret debug menu, which can be activated by pressing the keys CTRL + ALT + Shift + D all at the same time. It will enable an additional menu in the title bar and give you some debug options, like engine performance metrics and the ability to raise or lower the star rating of your tower. Do not go below one star, or over 5 stars, because the game will crash and potentially corrupt your save file. Additionally, every time you press the secret key combination, you'll get a "Debug Bonus!" of $500,000,000 in cash. Again, use this sparingly because it can also corrupt your save file.

This game is poorly coded and very unstable so be weary of using the debug menu too often.
OliviaEllison

Re: Tower 2 English Translation

Post by OliviaEllison »

Nice. Thx for your work!
brent1700

Post by brent1700 »

Hey thanks for this! Do you remember what resource editor you were using back then?
GiGaBiTe
Site Admin

Post by GiGaBiTe »

I used XN Resource Editor. Seems to have been discontinued, but the last version released seems to be available here:

https://stefansundin.github.io/xn_resource_editor/

Not sure what version I used to translate Yoot Tower, but I remember it being an error prone process. If you make edits to a program, make sure you're doing large complete edits to run as few edits on a binary as possible. The more you edit a binary, the more chance the binary will be come corrupt and not work. I had to start from scratch several times due to XN clobbering the executable. It'd probably be best to compile a list of changes you want to make and do them all at once, rather than lots of smaller changes.